Trinity Old Swedes Episcopal Church in Wilmington, DE seeks a faithful, gifted, and experienced full-time Organist and Choir Director to build on the solid tradition of musical and liturgical excellence that is our legacy of more than 300 years. We highly value the ministry of music in the worship life of our parish and in the community we serve. We have traditionally offered a rich variety of music that spans the breadth of the Anglican tradition and draws on other musical traditions as well. We worship in two languages (English and Spanish) and in two locations (Trinity and Old Swedes). Our ideal candidate will enrich our life in faith by developing the musical gifts of our parishioners, and helping us share the power and beauty of music with the greater Wilmington community.
The Organist and Choir Director will work closely with the Rector, staff, choir and others in the parish to plan and execute music including hymnody, anthems, and instrumental music for Sunday worship and other major feasts throughout the calendar year, focusing particularly on: planning musical offerings each week; leading congregational singing; providing instrumental music such as preludes, postludes, and accompaniment; and rehearsing and directing the choir each week in the singing of hymns, service music, and anthems; contracting and working with other musicians in and outside the parish for occasional special musical offerings; and being available for musical offerings in the context of pastoral liturgies. While our congregation values traditional worship styles, the ideal candidate for this position will also be comfortable introducing repertory from varied times and traditions. Our priority is to promote the community-building, spiritual and pastoral value of the music program.
Qualifications and Gifts: The successful candidate should have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree; be familiar with Episcopal Church’s worship and liturgy; possess fluency in traditional Anglican and classical organ and choral works; demonstrate inspiration and direction of a 15 – 20 person choir including 5 lead cantors; and demonstrate appreciation of music from other traditions, including gospel and Latinx sacred music.
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits: Paid vacation; professional development time and funds; health insurance, disability insurance, and pension benefits that are commensurate with such benefits that are available for other full-time lay staff. We are hoping to fill the position by early summer 2021. Please send all inquiries to email@example.com.
- Prepare and serve appropriately for regularly scheduled Sunday morning worship services and related choir rehearsals.
- Serve at special church events and related rehearsals (Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil, Easter, multiple Christmas Eve services, additional special events as needed.
- Conduct adult choir rehearsals. The Adult Choir presently rehearses on Thursday evenings from September to the Sunday of Pentecost. Part of the task is to continue to recruit new members. The Choir Director will schedule the rehearsal time at the Director’s and the Choir’s convenience.
- Select and supervise the paid choir leads with the approval of the Rector.
- Select and supervise with the approval of the Rector the assistant organist who plays at Old Swedes.
- Retain qualified substitute organists to serve in case of personal time off or vacation, at compensation rates authorized in the church budget.
- Reserve the right of first refusal to serve at any wedding or funeral held in the church, subject to the terms of the Compensation Schedule for this position.
- Regularly attend meetings of the church staff (Tuesdays at 10:30) and cooperate in planning and leadership of the church’s weekly worship services and special events.
- Select congregational hymns and service music for the service in consultation with the Rector.
- Select prelude, offertory anthems, communion anthems, and postlude at regular service.
- Incorporate, schedule and prepare instrumentalists from the congregation and community for occasional preludes, offertories.
- Accompany soloists in worship as needed, lead congregational singing.
- Prepare the Music budget request for the Vestry by November 1st of each year.
- Oversee the care and maintenance of the organs (Austin 3 manual and Austin 2 manual) and pianos (Steinway D, M, and upright, and a six foot Yamaha).
- Authorize access to the organ by other qualified organists, with approval of the Rector.
Samples of Trinity’s Music Program
Please see our YouTube Channel for videos of recent services: CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBE